Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Friend..What's your definition?

As you get older, you will soon come to realize that the myriad of friends you had while in high school has dwindled down to a solid two or three if you're lucky. Once you start to progress up the proverbial ladder, the people who are truest will be by your side cheering you on.

The word friend is so misused these days. It's starting to become synonymous with doormat and free-ride. In Webster's dictionary, there are five different definitions of the word friend and I quote :
1 a : one attached to another by affection or esteem b : ACQUAINTANCE??? (who put that there)
2 a : one that is not hostile b : one that is of the same nation, party, or group
3 : one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)
4 : a favored companion
5 capitalized : a member of a Christian sect that stresses Inner Light, rejects sacraments and an ordained ministry, and opposes war -- called also Quaker.

Examine carefully these five. What resonates off of the words? Do you get a warm fuzzy feeling of agreement? Or is your right eyebrow arched and followed by a "hmmph"?

Attached by affection or esteem! Wow. I value the friends that I have beyond what words could ever say. I don't ask for much of them except truth and support. We all have a common belief or interest. Our values and morals are basically mirrored. The ground rules as a friend are simple.

-If you see me making an ass of myself, don't be afraid to tell me "Girl, you're making an ass of yourself."
-If I become temporarily blind by excitement or love, as the outside person looking in, let me make my mistakes but don't stand there and watch me sink. Know when to say when.
-For the women, we respect each other's space, time and significant others. (MESSAGE) Be it a crush, boyfriend, husband or plaything. He's off limits and should be immediately unattractive to you.
-For the co-ed friends, know that once you cross that invisible line, there is such a thing as going back. If your friendship is real, it can withstand anything. If you both are mature, you can both understand that it didn't work out now let's just do what we do best. Be friends!
-If the co-eds are strictly platonic, then no worries if both parties are being honest about their feelings and intentions for the other. Men and women can be JUST friends. It's a mutual agreement.

Don't just give the title of friend away. It must be earned.

There's a new word in town ladies and gents: ACQUAINTANCE! (there's that darn word again ...lol)

Familiarize yourselves with it. Yes, I know it's under the definition of friend but trust me. Take your time to look it up. You'll thank me that you did. I personally can count my real friends on one hand. They are the ones that no matter how happy or how idiotic I get at times, they never judge me and are still with me today. We have all grown together. All of us not necessarily going in the same direction but it's cool because we are moving forward to something better. None of the two of us are the same but neither are we that much different from the other. How's that for an oxymoron! (LOL) Better yet try saying that five times really fast.

Cherish the "real" people that you have in your lives. Very rarely will you make a new friend for life once you've passed the age of 30. Don't judge cuz' really who the heck are you to anyway! Don't believe the hype. There's no such thing as always hurting the ones you love. If I love you, you best believe I'm going out of my way to make sure I never intentionally cause you any pain. And on that note, to infinity and beyond and so is the love I have for you guys. Be easy my buds and till next time...Smooches!

No comments: